Friday, July 22, 2011

Pic of the Day...July 22nd... Japanese Beauty

Forgive me...I saw this composition and I just couldn't help myself...I know they are destructive pests, but when I saw this little beauty with it's iridescent copper colored elytra and it's green thorax and head, just sitting there, not biting anything...looking so beautiful, I just had to get a shot. Have you ever looked closely at one, I mean, really closely? They are amazing...Sigh...But very destructive, I know. So when you see one, or two or ten, pluck them off your plants because beetles attract more beetles. I know there is a lesson in that! ( Esp. For teenagers, but I'm not going to go there). According to Wikipedia, the Japanese Beetle was first seen in a nursery near Riverton, New Jersey in 1916. They believe the larvae came over from Japan in 1912, on a shipment of Iris bulbs. Interestingly, the little buggers are not that destructive in Japan because of natural predators. The once popular beetle bags used to "get rid of them" with their pheromones, actually attract more beetles than they catch. Some natural repellents include: catnip, chives, garlic and tansy. A soap and water mixture in a spray bottle is also a natural method.
So, I realize that this post is completely random, but I liked this picture and had to make up for my choice with a little beetle education. By the way, I had to look up "elytra". :) It is the hard outer covering that protects the inner wings...
Weird, but still beautiful, so I hope you
Enjoy!
M. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment